Whitley Soundtracks, 2014 (in collaboration with Paul Glover and Readipop)
Paul Glover and I worked 6 community groups to create a collage of poetry, spoken word, songs, personal narratives, discussions and music that represents the people, places and issues in Whitley in 2014. It was presented in June 2014 at Whitfest (community festival of Whitley, a neighbourhood of Whitley).
Readipop’s new Contemporary Poetry Course will explore the relationship between form and content in both page and performance poetry over seven weeks. It is suitable for beginners and intermediate poets who want to strengthen their writing and performing skills through readings and discussions, games and writing exercises, as well as critique of work in progress. You will engage with fresh approaches to generating poems with a close look at new processes and old forms revisited by contemporary poets and performers, in view of developing a body of work to be published in a Course Collection and performed at a live event.
- One session will be run by publisher Emma Wright, founder of The Emma Press: expect critique and tips from a professional editor as well as advice on how to get published.
- Students are invited to attend The Architects Of Our Republic Tour gig in Reading (as part of the session of the 27/11 at same venue). The event is organised by Apples and Snakes, the leading spoken word organisation in the UK, and features, film and performance poetry with Charlie Dark headlining and Michaël ‘Gulliver’ Vidon supporting. It celebrates the anniversary of the Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech “I have a dream”.
- At the event celebrating your work, you will share the stage with a renowned poet and a local poet (TBC).
- Your performance will be filmed (ideal for portfolios).
- The Course Collection is the perfect memento – and Christmas present to your family and friends. We’ll offer you a copy and you can order more.
Contemporary Poetry Course
(adults) Autumn 2014
I run creative writing writing and performance workshops in the community with a range of groups: AgeUK, Youth Clubs, Adults facing barriers to learning...
I like to collaborate with other artists.
Here is an example of project I have co-curated with Paul Glover for Readipop: Soundtracks